Friday, January 9, 2009

Leveraging Past Initiatives to Help Even More People

One of the books I wrote several years ago was on the best cities to live in within the US. I visited these cities and offered them programs from one city to the next that had worked well. The cities were happy to share their successful initiatives. Everyone gained which is what my process is all about.

The surprising insight I got from these towns was that the leaders don't talk to each other enough. That's part of my program--to facilitate onnection and collaboration.

I became like the honeybee that cross polinates the flowers (by the way my name, Melissa, means honeybee in Greek.) I enjoy facilitating collaboration. Over the last 20 years in business I see company after company--big companies like Motorola, American Express, etc. with top leaders who state, "We have a problem with siloism." Well, if you apply the human touch of facilitating collaboration among diverse groups within an organization and you are good at facilitation which is a skill that needs to be constantly developed, then you should be able to help companies move from a myopic and siloed way of doing business to a more collaborative and creative state.

So with this you get innovation. With my process the first step is to find people who have similar and complimentary values to the following: 1)making a difference, 2)integrity, 3)innovation and 4)collaboration. To my surprise I keep finding people who connect to these values--at least some of them. From this group of what I call "Can Do People" we are able to accomplish goals much faster.

I also ran a United Way for a couple of years and found that many people want to volunteer but they don't know how to do so in a modest way, still making a difference and managing their time well. My approach is to first start with small projects where goals are simple and achievable and help these people experience quick wins. From here these people can then move on to other projects. I am always working on live events and initiatives to help individuals and groups achieve goals faster through a network approach.

Please. Bring on more questions as I do believe they are helpful. I am not offering something that I have not tried in many venues. I also have many others who have worked with me, volunteering their time. I believe there would be a lot of people who would like to get involved initaitves to help others in need but they just need someone to give them a process.

No comments:

Post a Comment